Monday, September 25, 2006

The Seattle Public Library

I have mixed feelings about it.



On the one hand, I like that it's a gigantic atrium. I am a big fan of natural light and taking as much advantage of it as possible. I'm not in love with our Ikea bookcases, but they are white, which is nice because they keep the man-cave brightly lit and conducive to daytime reading.

On the other hand, what's up with this?



The escalators are fluorescent yellow. The chairs are bright orange. Everything is really stark and industrial-looking. I don't imagine it would be a relaxing place to study, although I'm pretty picky about library environments. Alderman gives me the heebie-jeebies because the ceilings are only like seven feet high and I get claustrophobia. (Part of it's my West Coast-rooted fear of earthquakes, although that's much less of a concern here.) My ideal library would be decorated in muted tones, with comfy squishy chairs, rather like the Suzzallo Graduate Reading Room, but less cavernous. I don't remember much about the incarnation of the Shoreline Public Library that existed when I was just learning to read, but I do remember it being very...brown. And that was fine.

Also, call me old-fashioned, but when I walk into a library, I expect to see, you know, books.

No comments: