Friday, November 10, 2006

Working

I sort of bumbled into this job for next semester as an adjunct instructor at a community college about an hour from here. They had my CV on file from last June, emailed me to ask if I'd be interested in teaching, and then told me I was hired as soon as I said I was. The pay is exiguous; it pays for gas and probably little more than minimum wage once you calculate how many hours I'll spend lecturing, grading, and doing prep, but it's good experience. I'm a little intimidated because it's an introductory religion course from a comparative perspective, and although you'd think, gee, I have a masters in comparative religion, I really prefer the historical/theological/scriptural perspective from which I've studied religion since I started my doctoral studies.

This, however, combined with my tutoring (which hour for hour is much more profitable) should provide our little human-feline household enough income to pay for most of our basic expenses. That's nice.

I went up there today to fill out paperwork. It's a nice drive, especially today when it was 75 degrees and sunny, although I'll be doing it in the dark for much of the semester.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Juliet! Just a little while of this and I'm sure you'll stumble into a way to shed that "adjunct" status (and hopefully that length of drive as well). I'd offer to send you my syllabi but I don't think biochem lectures will help much ... hope it goes well!

Laura said...

That's great, Juliet! I hope you enjoy the teaching. Congratulations!