Friday, April 17, 2009

Cup cup cup cup cup cup CUP cup cup

Can you tell Auletta has a new word? She still likes to say "ball" too. We were at the playground the other day and a mom showed up with two kids, each with a BALL, which the mom kindly made them share. At that point I decided I should get Auletta her own ball, since it is pretty much the cheapest toy you can possibly buy, so now she has her $1.99 BALL and we are all happy. Except this morning when she woke up and I took her into the study where I knew the BALL was and as soon as she saw it, she burst into tears. Dude, toddlers.

She had her 18-month appointment yesterday, a bit after her actual 18-month birthday because they weren't scheduling appointments far enough ahead at her last regular checkup and then a month later when I was able to schedule it they were already booked for the week of her birthday. (And forget about booking her two-year appointment until July!) But as it turned out it was the first possible day that she could get her Hep A shot, so now she is all done with shots (except for flu shots) until kindergarten. She remains consistently large-headed at around the 80th percentile for head size, and consistently small at around 10th percentile for height and, um, under the 3rd percentile for weight. Her weight is the only thing I actually got a numerical measurement for, and she's still just shy of 20 pounds. (Which, like, this probably makes me an awful parent, but I turned around her carseat weeks ago because I just assumed she had grown since her last appointment. I mean she did, but she only gained half a pound. Boy are car trips easier, though.) Her pediatrician isn't really concerned because she's been consistently tiny and apparently toddlers often don't gain weight very rapidly at this age because they're moving around so much. But I do wonder whether I feed her enough. And then she throws her macaroni and cheese on the floor and that puts an end to my wondering.

This is not an 18-month picture either, but here is Auletta hosting a tea party (thanks to Granny for the awesome new table and chairs and tea set). It's hard to see, but Raggedy Ann is wearing a Tar Heels jersey, as well as the Robeez Auletta has finally outgrown. Be careful, Auletta thinks it's appropriate to drink from the teapot.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

She looks so grown-up, sitting at her own little table with Raggedy Ann. Is Raggedy Ann popular with her? I ask because I do have a Raggedy Ann cross-stitch pattern!

Juliet said...

Oh, hey, I forgot to answer your question. She goes through phases of really liking Raggedy Ann, although I think the poor thing has languished in the stuffed toy crate for a couple of days. But I think she does like her more than most of her other dolls and animals, except for her beloved baby.