Sunday, March 05, 2006

Another reason to celebrate St. Patrick's Day

I am just a wee bit Irish.

Most of my ancestors--Jewish, Italian, and various flavors of Anglo-Celtic from the larger of the British Isles--are of humble origins and not particularly well documented. My grandmother, however, is a Trueblood, and there is a whole out-of-print book about the Truebloods in America, not to mention a bunch of websites tracing the Truebloods all the way back to seventeenth-century England. They were Quakers who settled in North Carolina (so in fact I have deeper Carolina roots than my husband), and remained so until a few generations ago.

Anyway, let me see if I can get this straight: My great-great-great grandfather, Elias Trueblood, married a woman named Elizabeth Killey, whose father was from Ireland. Presbyterian, not Catholic. But still, there you go. Green beer this year for St. Patrick's Day.

No comments: