Thursday, October 18, 2007

One week

Auletta turned one week old yesterday. At her first pediatric appointment she weighed 8 lb. 4 oz., six ounces more than when she was born. So this breastfeeding thing is obviously going well. So well, in fact, that I spent yesterday afternoon doing not much else, and decided it was okay to give her a pacifier. I wasn't in a hurry to do it, but I have read it won't lead to nipple confusion once breastfeeding is established, and I don't know how it could be more established. Besides, the hospital apparently gave her a pacifier when she was in the nursery at night. Which I would not necessarily have approved, but at least they use Soothies, which is what I was going to get anyway.



(Thanks to Helene and Michael for the sleeper and my sister for the conveniently coordinating hat. Baby hats are, in fact, flat when you first get them.)

Update: I added a couple of pictures to the story of Auletta's birth and hospital stay, in case you don't want to read the whole thing but want to see pictures.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

What a cutie! She looks good in lavender.

Don't worry about nipple confusion. If she's gaining that well, she's got feeding established and she'll know which one has milk and which one doesn't. Trust me. Infants have a need to keep sucking, even when they're full, so pacifiers were created for that purpose. Alexandra liked hers for that reason. JT, being the independent thinker that he is, never took to it as an infant and completely rejected his pacifier at 4 months. So it all depends on the kid, too.