Friday, July 28, 2006

What the hell is going on in my hometown?

There's been a string of bizarre murders lately, now this:

Six people were shot - one fatally - this afternoon at the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle by a man who told a witness he was upset about "what was going on in Israel."

Well, geez, so am I. I think this guy is actually upset about what's going on in Lebanon, but whatever.

The five people hospitalized were all women. One was 20 weeks pregnant. Another person (of undisclosed gender, as far as I can tell) is dead.

Seattle has a weird way of protesting:

1. People dress up as turtles to protest the WTO.
Reporter: Why are you dressed as turtles?
Turtle #1: I dunno. Why are we dressed as turtles?
Turtle #2: I dunno.

(I recall reading this in the Economist.)

Oh, and they destroy a Starbucks. That's going to win you sympathy in Seattle. Way to go.

2. Some dude goes to a mosque in north Seattle shortly after September 11 and like tries to set the sidewalk on fire, or something incompetent like that.

3. Some dude shoots a bunch of Jews in a city where there aren't a whole lot of Jews. I am the most Jewish person I know from Seattle, and it's just that my maternal grandmother is Jewish, so you get the idea.

What a weird city I'm from.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Yup, crazy things are happening here. The one dead person is a woman - all of the victims are women. So far, all the police has dug up is that he is Muslim and he's from the Tri-Cities. The national media has picked up on it now, too. Someone in the local Jewish community called it a "hate crime" (which is what it's looking more and more like), and said, "How will there ever be peace until both sides value life?" Eric started cheering when he heard that one.

This Jewish center is located near Lenora and 3rd, apparently. Traffic was absolutely snarled until late Friday night - fortunately, the Mariners were out-of-town, or things would have been much worse.

Anonymous said...

I think the exact quote was, "...it's pretty hard to think there'll ever be peace when you're dealing with people that dont' value life." --from a former Board Chariman (or 'woman' in this case) of the Jewish Federation.

I cheered because, well, let's face it, Islam is rather fascinated with 'the dark side', and it's difficult to exchange/debate/reason with something like that.