Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Around Wooster Square, part 3

I dropped the ball on NaBloPoMo there, didn't I? Oh well. I made it for eight days, anyway.

Today's theme: buildings. Wooster Square reminds me a little of Berkeley, in a good way, with its weekly farmer's market and its interesting architecture. Like this house. I love this house on Chapel Street.



Of course there is St. Michael's. Italian Catholicism up the gazoo.



This used to be part of St. Michael's and I think is now used by a non-Catholic neighborhood school.



This house makes me sad, because it clearly used to be well maintained--it got an award from the New Haven Preservation Trust:



But you can see it's been downhill since then. I noticed it was up for auction a few months ago, so hopefully there's a new owner who will restore it to the beauty it deserves.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

That last house is beautiful! I wonder what it's like inside? You're right, though - it deserves an owner that can restore it properly. I used to get "Restoration Home" magazine often and see these amazing tranformations of old classic homes into modern homes without losing the classic/historical look. If I had the money, I'd love to be able to do something like that.