Monday, November 03, 2008

Election eve

I had ideas of writing an elaborate post about how I arrived at the way I'm going to vote tomorrow, but when it all comes down I don't have time and I don't know if it matters because my thought processes are really the last anyone should take as an example. All I'm going to say is, I'm probably as close a person as you know to an undecided voter. What I've seen written about swing voters casts them as uninformed, single-issue voters, which may well be true in general, but I like to think I'm in the gooey middle because I see both sides of issues and I see everything in shades of gray rather than black and white. Or else I'm waffly. You decide. Well, I, and I think a lot of other people, have been stewing for weeks that in the end are not really relevant to how either of the two candidates would run the country, so I intend to set all that aside and vote for the person who I think is closest to what we need right now. May the best man win. I think it will all be okay either way.

We're headed to DC tomorrow after Justin's class (and, of course, after we vote!) to celebrate the election with other politically-obsessed friends, as we have done every election year since we've been married. I'm baking two flourless chocolate cakes this time instead of one, as I have for previous elections (don't ask what chocolate cake has to do with elections--except that no matter who wins, everyone gets to eat cake!), because we're splitting our time between Democratic and Republican parties. I mean cake-and-booze parties, not (just) political parties. Our group of friends actually has pretty diverse political views, and we keep up a lively and amicable discussion on a group email list, but for various reasons the parties are separate this year. Oh well, I guess I'll serve one cake with blueberries and one with strawberries. Or something? Yay for democracy, and cake.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

You are still required to blog even if you are in a sugar coma. :)